Wednesday 10 December 2008

homecoming

Last Sunday, an (expatriate) friend invited me to attend a Christmas concert of the Choir Company Sisters at the evangelical church in Ijsselstein. I must admit it was rather disconcerting at first to hear such a modern interpretation (with Dutch text!?) of traditional German and English Christmas carols.

As always around this time of year, I really miss my childhood home in Southern Germany very much. This year we won't be going home to my family for the hollidays and in the Netherlands celebrations tend to focus on "Sinterklaas" (St. Nicholas day on December 6th) rather than Christmas.

During the service, the preacher asked us to consider what "God" meant for each of us individually; King of kings, father, good shephard, friend, peacemaker, guide, and healer were some of the terms mentioned. But I realized that to me - more than anything else - beeing with Jesus means coming home, no matter where I am.

No comments: