Saturday 23 May 2009

next generation

While visiting my parents last weekend, I had the pleasure to meet my brother's new girlfriend, and her ten year old son. We got along very well, and I took an immediate liking to both of them.

As many boys of his age, Taced loves to play online games and is fascinated by computers. Not surprisingly, he dreams of starting his own company and developing computer games. Thus he was quite excited when he heard about my background. He listened intently to my stories about UX design and was interested to see some of the artefacts and areas I had been working on. In fact, Taced surprised me by giving several useful suggestions regarding the wireframes and task flows I shared with him. It was an amazing experience to exchange thoughts with such a bright young mind.

Unfortunately, many development environments such as Adobe suite are way too expensive for a single mom to afford for her kid. But Taced couldn’t wait to get his hands on my new laptop and the tools installed on it.

In turn, I was quite excited to talk to my brother’s girlfriend; a social scientist, who had written her thesis on sensitive children, and mother of a highly talented son herself.

Thus while the grownups were busy chatting away over a bottle of French wine, Taced taught himself some of the tools on my computer and threw together several quick Flash animations. Disregarding the slightly bloodthirsty humor typical for boys, I was very impressed by the results he achieved within a couple of hours!

I can hardly wait to see what exciting new ideas and innovations can be expected by those bright kids in the future!

No comments: