Friday 21 September 2007

overprotective vs irresponsible?

I recently spoke with a British mom who had just relocated to Amsterdam. She was horrified that many Dutch (and German) preschool children are left to play outside unsupervised. Not to speak of the Dutch habit to leave a sleeping baby home alone while picking up the older kids from school.

Dutch media and social agencies actually warn parents that being overprotective may harm their children's development.

I still remember how incredulous I was on learning that parents can be prosecuted in USA (and Canada) for leaving children under the age of twelve unsupervised.

What a difference, indeed!

Yet as far as I am aware, the crime figures and number of accidents amongst Dutch children are not any higher than in the States. (Though I have a feeling there might be a lot more alcohol abuse amongst teenagers in the Netherlands.)

Might be interesting to do some more research on the subject.

In the meantime, I'll happily watch our five year old go off alone to play with his friends on the playground. But I admit that so far I've felt too protective to leave my children home alone.

No comments: